This will be my last year 1 assignment blog post, until September when I start my second year. This first year was an interesting experience and stressful yet rewarding.
This assignment has been a very interesting project and a project I have been looking forward to completing. Going back and using photographic paper instead of printing the portrait straight onto inject paper; allows you to experience a different sense of accomplishment, because at every step of the way you have to do process the film to negatives, and you have to make your enlargement process to make big prints of your images.
Exposure Latitude was an important factor with the photographic paper and is something else you need to consider when shooting on film and exposing photographic paper. Exposure Latitude is how much the film (and photographic paper) can either be under or over exposed and still achieve an acceptable exposure. This is more important with lower ISO films than with higher ISO films. Oddly enough, this is the opposite with digital cameras, where at higher ISO sensitivities on the sensor lower exposure latitude. While lower ISO sensitivities on Sensor have wider exposure latitudes.
I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the different processes and steps needed to create pieces of work for this brief. I have found that this went better than processing the film because I was able to see my work environment – as the safe light will not affect the photographic paper. I found it difficult to determine an even exposure for the negative portrait. This was due to the complicated lighting set-up; I could expose most of the portrait well while the face would look blown out. I ended up shooting with a magenta level of 100, 120 and 150. The exposure intervals differed for each strip with a different magenta refers to the images of the scanned contact sheets below.
This was a very similar process to creating the contact negative sheets, but was slightly less complicated, because we only had to expose the paper to the desired exposure and magenta levels. I exposed the paper for 30 seconds and had the magenta level at 150. If I was to re-do the final print I would apply the burning in technique around the face as the lighting was complex and unless further image manipulation is done the photographic paper has limited exposure latitude. While the negative can hold and store more contrast, you need to make sure that you apply photo-manipulation techniques to accommodate this factor. However this can be used to give your images a certain look like Phil Brant (who creates high contrast images).
I was happy with the creation of; my negatives, my negative contact sheets, my enlargements and the images; I shot at the studio shoot. It was a very good experience and gave you a lot of self-satisfaction when you were at each step and creating different pieces for the assignment. I also enjoyed shooting portraits in the studio, as Portraiture is a type of Photography that interests me. I also believed that the pieces of work I made for this assignment were to a good standard.
Though I enjoyed the different processes to creating the different components for this assignment. I also didn’t have the best means to store the translucent negative and constantly was getting dust and smudged them. This could have degraded the image quality overall.
Overall this assignment was quite a unique experience and I thoroughly enjoyed this assignment, and have given me ideas for the future experiment with other printing media to display my photography.
I still have a few more posts to publish on the blog however they won’t be from anymore year 1 units.