This blog post will be evaluating my Location shoots for this project. My first shoot was based on my first idea (refer to Initial Statement of Intent)
My first shoot was based along the Trent and Merseyside Canal. I decided to shoot in the morning as it had been cold the night before their would be fog the next day. So I was going to take advantage of the fog but it only lasted two hours of the shoot. It was fine as all the shots that had taken advantage of the fog had been shot. The rest of the shots that were taken once the weather had cleared were taken in a Woodland area and because of the environment I was still able to achieve dark and moody exposures.
To achieve this shoot, I used my Nikon D5200 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I also had a tripod and a remote shutter release, ensuring the pictures were shot from the same position. At the start of the day my shutter speed started with 1/125 and an aperture of f/3.5, I also had my ISO sensitivity set to 100. But as the sun came out I had to alter my settings however I wanted to keep the aperture the same and only change the shutter speed, to help me achieve this I set my shutter speed to 1/500th second this was still needed when shooting in the woodlands around 2pm. I also made sure to shoot in RAW to give me the best possible files for when editing the images together.
Overall the shots that were produced from this shoot were very good and this was due to planning in advance and communicating with the models what they would be wearing for the shoot. It was also possible due to planning for what weather and how I would expose my shots to the weather I wanted.
My second shoot didn’t go as well as the first shoot. The second shoot was based on my 3rd initial idea which was to crete a photo-sequence depicting an abandoned view of Northwich. However I hadn’t thought about when Northwich would be at its quietest in the day or would it have been better to do it as a long exposure. Therefore the shots didn’t communicate my idea very well and the shots weren’t very interesting.
I used my Nikon D5200 with the 18-55mm kit lens, the overall weather was quite overcast with the occasional patch of blue sky. My shutter speed ranged from 1/500th to 1/1250th second, as did my aperture it ranged from f/5.6 to f/9. I also had my ISO at 100 and shot in RAW. I also found that my exposures tended to either expose the sky very well or the buildings. I should have taken to exposures one for the sky and one for the buildings and merge the exposures in Photoshop or use Camera RAW to see how much information I could pull back to make the overall exposure look more even.
Overall I thought my shooting performance was satisfactory it could have been better, if I had taken the second shoot as seriously as the first one. I believe I didn’t because I had done the first location shoot and it had gone very well and then put all my attention into the producing the manipulated images from the first brief.