Studio Shoot Evaluation

This blog post will be evaluating my studio shoot performance for this assignment. For the different ideas I wanted to produce three different studio campaign posters but I would have to do three different studio shoots to accomplish this.

Full Length Studio Shoot:

This studio shoot has been very successful and yielded much better results than previous shoots I have done. This was because I made sure to plan ahead of the shoot and to have everything ready, so on the day of the shoot everything would go smoothly. I made sure to plan with the model on the clothing they would be wearing for the campaign advert.

To light the model I used a studio flash with an umbrella attachment; the studio flash was suspended in the air with a boom connected to a tripod. I used the white backdrop, with two studio flashes with soft boxes attached to create a clean white background. However for one of the shots (the dress shot, see below) the background was not lit enough to create an even white background. While the second shot (the suit shot, see below) had a clean even white background was slightly to bright which meant the model in the images was slightly blurred due to overexposing on the background.

For this shoot I used a studio camera, which was a Canon EOS 5D Mk2 with a 85mm prime lens. This allowed me to shoot a full-length body shot without having trouble composing the shot, as using my Nikon D5200 is a cropped sized DSLR. My camera settings for the shoot were 1/125th to allow the studio flashes to sync up. The aperture was set to f/11 and the ISO was set to 100. I also shot in the RAW file format to give me the best quality file’s possible.

Overall the shoot went well and I got the images I required for my campaign poster. This was due to me organising in advance what was needed for studio shoot, I feel I have learnt more valuable experience when shooting full-length body shots.

IMG_9977 IMG_9967

Table Top Studio Shoot:

The second studio shoot I completed was done by a table-top set, I learned that I haven’t really grasped using flashes up-close on small objects or when using a table-top set. The shots were adequate for my advert however the positioning of the dolls meant I had to crop and re-position them before I could make the advert. Also the flash was not set to a high enough level, however this could be argued that I could have opened up the aperture but at the risk of increasing a shallow depth of field. This was of course corrected within Photoshop but this created more trouble; if I had gotten the correct exposure first I would not have had as much trouble later when producing the advert.

I used two studio flashes with soft boxes attached to evenly light the doll on the table.

I used the same Canon DSLR that I used for the first shoot but I decreased the aperture from f/11 to f/8, as I was closer to the flashes but also because I decreased the power on the flashes. I was still shooting with the shutter speed of 1/125th and an ISO of 100 and I was still shooting in RAW.

Overall the images were of a satisfactory level, but could have been a lot better and for future assignments I will be focussing on improving my studio lighting techniques.

IMG_0001 IMG_9993 IMG_0003

Portrait Studio Shoot:

This studio shoot was done prior to the top two studio shoots, as I did this one to test shooting portraits in the studio. But I then decided I wanted to use these shots to create an advert.

However the overall quality of the shots could be improved upon, and this only proves that I still have a lot to learn when lighting a model in the studio. For this shoot I used two lights, which were both studio flashes one was attached with a soft box, while the other had a honey comb attachment on it. The studio flash with the soft box attached was used to light the model; while the studio light with the honeycomb attachment was used to light the background. I wanted to only light the background around the model to create a tonal grey background. However the choice of only using one studio flash light on the model meant that the light doesn’t cover the whole face and the left of most faces is darker than the right side. (See Below, for images)

For this shoot I shot with my Nikon D5200 with the 18-55mm kit lens at the 55mm focal length, this would emulate the effects of a 85mm prime lens or a prime lens in general. Unfortunately would yield the same quality of a prime lens. I shot at a shutter speed of 1/125th to make sure that I was syncing with the studio flashes. My aperture was set to f/11 and my ISO was at 100. I was using the RAW and JPEG setting when shooting the images, so I could quickly preview them before having to process the RAW files.

Overall I was quite happy with the portraits shot, but their quality could be vastly improved if I was want to shoot more professional portraits.

Faces9 Faces16

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s