For this assignment I will have to research an Art and Design movement and present my findings to my class. This blog post will serve as my research that will be included within my presentation.
- Surrealism was not just an Art and Design movement but a whole culture movement, and is known for the visual artworks and literature that it created.
- Surrealism originated in France around the 1920’s. However the end of Surrealism is a little unclear; some historians believe it finished because of World War 2, or because of the death André Breton in 1966. However some people actually believe that the death of Salvador Dali signalled the end of Surrealism.
- Surrealism’s aim was to “resolve the previously contradictory conditions of dream and reality”
- Surrealism’s Leader André Breton wanted viewers of Surrealistic Art to see Surrealism as a revolutionary art movement.
- Surrealism developed some of its Philosophies from Dadaism. (Dadaism is known as the “Anti-Movement”) Also members from the Dadaism movement came over to Surrealism, notable figures as André Breton and Max Ernst.
- André Breton was aiming Surrealism to “Resolve the previously contradictory conditions of dreams and reality”
- André Breton was the first publisher of the Surrealist Manifesto.
The presentation has been both completed and presented and will be posted soon.